– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp. cornstarch
– 1 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. baking soda
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
– 2 large bananas, ripened and mashed
– 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
– 4 large egg yolks
– 3/4 cup buttermilk
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour the bottoms and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
– In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. – In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, oil, sugar, and banana on medium speed until creamy, 1-2 minutes. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until well combined. Reduce mixer to low and slowly add in flour mixtures, alternating with the buttermilk, until well combined. Scrape down sides as necessary.
– Place springform pan on a foiled lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. A tester should come out with only a few crumbs attached. Cool completely on a wire rack.
For the vanilla wafer toffee:
– 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
– 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
– 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
– 1/8 tsp. salt
– 1 1/3 cups coarsely chopped vanilla wafer cookies
– Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the brown sugar, heavy cream, and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Continue cooking and whisking for about 2 minutes, until sugar is dissolved.
– Remove from heat and stir in vanilla wafers until well coated. Scatter cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.